Sign Up For The Free Newsletter

November 3, 2010

November 3, 2010 Why I got and iPad and what I think about it


The Apple iPad has been out now for about 8 months or so. Initially I was on the fence about it. It's a big iPod Touch, big deal, so what, etc... As time went on more and more of my co-workers got one and began to use them in the business setting. Again, so what. Currently, I am in a corporate environment that does not provide mobile email devices to their employees unless they are in production support positions. Being a Leader in IT that makes the job a little difficult and you don't know how convenient and important mobile communication devices are beyond a $20 flip cell phone that can barely send a text message.  From that I am anchored to my laptop at my desk since I don't lug that Lenovo around. So, even though I am a leader and forward thinker of advancing web security, I am forced to use a circa 1995 3 ring paper organizer. 

Side note - I am 100% on the bandwagon that a company has a responsibility to provide the tools to the employees. Even though I have personal tools that I can get mobile email, I refuse to use my own property for work related activities. If they want me to have it, they will provide it to me, otherwise I will not have it at all.

Back to the iPad. I said that I would never buy one straight up, only if I got the money from Ebay sales or other extra income sources. So a few days ago my Ebay funds were there and a surprise discovery allowed me to make the decision to get one. So I headed over to Target and got myself the 16GB 3G version with the Apple Care protection and a case. It has been 3 days and no regrets. Let me breakdown why I got what I did and why I got one now and not wait for the rumored iPad 2.

What is my purpose for the iPad?
First off I am a practicalist. I think practically and logically. There is a lot of exaggerated information from the marketing of this device and the undereducated consumers are creating a false perception of what the iPad and iPhones are. They are not laptop replacements. They are not PCs. If all you do online is email and browse, there is an argument for that view, but most of the time they are not. Businesses especially are trying to treat these things as the end all god send of laptop replacements and expect full laptop functionality and performance from them. I know better and I always looked at the iPad as an enhancing tool rather than the power house.

I needed a replacement for my paper binder. I hate hauling my laptop around, booting up, powering it down, dealing with the restrictions of not being able to install software that I need. It's too limiting. But the iPad now will replace that binder and I plan to use it as a note taking device, probably using Evernote as my storage and using the calendar. I won't be using it for mobile email now, but I probably will lower my stance on personal device for business use and eventually sync it up. But that's my purpose for the iPad primarily.

Someone said to me that the business may frown upon that for security reasons... My answer to them is that my iPad and Evernote is far more secure than my paper organizer with a year's worth of private meeting notes and address contacts if I lose that.

16GB 3G
After seeing my co-workers have the iPad for a while and them treating it as a mobile device, I could not understand why they were not getting the 3G version. The Wi-Fi version is so limiting. In our offices the guest wi-fi coverage is spotty at best and outside that, wi-fi hotspots are far and few between. They wanted to be a mobile device but not have the full capability of mobility. To me the 3G iPad is the only iPad to get. The month to month opt in and opt out when you want is perfect approach instead of treating it like a cellular plan by the year.

The size too is not that big of a deal. If I was back in my old job of traveling every week, then I would have gotten the 64GB version hands down. I would have it loaded up with movies. But since I do not, there is no reason for the 64GB. I am not going to use it as an iPod for music, that's what Pandora is for. I dont plan to watch movies on it, I may have a few but not that many and the applications are small footprints so I wont be filling it up. That's what fit my needs. Practical.

Useage
I have played with the iPad on and off for a few minutes at a time, but after I got my own and sat down with it I really saw that my perceptions before were wrong. It is as easy and simple to use as it looks. The keyboard is not that awkward to use. Now, I have a case that I can prop it up at an angle, so that makes it easier than laying it flat down. The menus flow smooth, the apps load perfectly and the applications specifically designed for the iPad are beautiful. I have no bad things to say at this time on it's use. As I get into more of a business use, I will probably look at the folding bluetooth keyboard just for ease, but we'll see. 

Downsides
I have come across a few downsides that I was not aware of prior. First is the charging. The iPad, even though it uses the came cable as the iPhone, requires a powered USB port. A regular one will not work. My desktop is older and does not have the power, my work laptop does not have a powered USB either. This is an annoyance but I have to plug my netbook into the wall to charge and the iPad's battery life is phenominal so if I have to wall charge it, so be it.

The other downside is right now it doesnt have iOS 4. I miss it. I love it on the iPhone, but it's coming for iPad, patience.

Why not wait for the iPad 2?
I know its coming. I know it will be better. I know it will be faster. The iPad 2 will have a camera, probably two. So what? I can't image trying to take a photo with the iPad, how awkward will that be trying to hold it up and snap a pic? I have the iPhone 4. 

The iPad 2 will probably have FaceTime. So what? It requires Apple to Apple products on wi-fi. I have an iPhone 4 for that and I have used it twice to try it out. No practical and I don't care.

The iPad 2 will have more RAM. OK, more power is always better. But I dont plan to play games on it, it's just fine right now with 256MB, and with the iOS multitasking I always fully shut down the apps on my iPhone now so I will do the same. So not a selling point to wait.

The iPad 2 will have the retina display. Now this is the only thing that I will miss. But it's not a waiting point.


At the end of the day I do not regret the iPad purchase. As the months go by and I use it more as a note taking organizer I will shake out more likes and dislikes. But as long as you treat the iPad for what it is and don't expect it to be something else, it's one of the greatest products out there.


End of Line.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons